Sunday, April 6, 2008

ahhhhhh....Nescafe


I fully endorse that phrase "life is too short to drink bad coffee". However, as I go through a pound of whole bean in less than a week, and gas prices being as exorbitant as they are, something had to give. I mean, I can't go 3/4 the way to work and back, can I?

So I noticed in the "international" section of our grocery store a huge stonking great jar of Nescafe for $5.45. Now most people would immediately baulk at instant, but you see, I was RAISED on Nescafe. In the UK in the 70s and 80s that's pretty much all we drank. Pop the (electric) kettle on, one spoon of coffee, two sugars, blob of milk, boom! coffee in 2-3 minutes. I swear, I would have 9 or 10 cups of that a day.

And do you know what, I bought it. It's one of those feelings, tastes, smells, that just takes you back to your childhood, (on that topic, whatever happened to white dog poo? I guess dogs just don't eat bones anymore...) and I'm really quite enjoying it. So up yours, Mr Corporate $12 a pound Ethiopian Yrgacheffe
Coffee Company...this'll do nicely. Well, for a while, at least ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had completely forgotten about white dog poop, but you're absolutely right! I haven't seen that since I was a kid. Does it really have anything to do with bones? Or maybe people do a better job of scooping it up before it gets old and dried out. Or something to do with environmental changes or newer dog food formulation laws. I just don't know....hrm....

Charlie Whittaker said...

ahhhh, just done a brief bit of research and it does seem that it's a combo effect. Dogs don't get bones anymore (calcium) and we don't let crap lay on the streets for months like before. Therefore, the process of the bile in the poo breaking it down over time, leaving only the crumbly calcium as a reminder to the world, is no more. I got all this from The Guardian...http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,,-185831,00.html
I particularly like the post from C. Parish, of Dunedin, New Zealand :-)